Project Title: Swabalamban (Self Reliant) by Mr. Nani Kumar Saikia, Social Action for Appropriate Transformation & Advancement in Rural Areas. (SATRA), Sipajhar
Project Brief: Swabalamban is a project on women empowerment through sustainable livelihood supported by FST, Guwahati implemented by SATRA located in Sipajhar.
Mulberry silk worm rearing and weaving is a traditional activity for the women in Sipajhar area. It was observed in the late nineties that the activity declined because of less profit. Hence SATRA intervened in the year 2005-06 to work for the betterment of rural community specially women.The project Swabalamban (Self Reliant) proposed to attract more women to take up the activities and for self sustainability of their tradition weaving art and adding value to the product by degumming, natural dye and weaving to generate more income for the rural poor people. The planned activities of the project are –
- To bring professionalism on weaving activities developing skill leads to development of the community
- Marketing is often a challenge for the rural women and therefore this intervention would ensure market linkage
- Motivation to take up silk worm rearing and weaving which has tremendous scope of developing socio-economic condition in the rural areas.
Goals and Objectives of the project:
- To promote Sipajhar as a natural dyed silk hub produced by Women of the area.
- To protect the activities by bringing professionalism
- To increase income of rural women in order to address gender discrepancy.
- To attract new generations in working together for generating self-employment
- To encourage the youth to get involved with the sectors by starting some business related activities such as loom making locally and marketing the finished products outside the areas to bring in more economic value to their workRecent Development till date:
- Weavers have became well equipped in improving their pat silk yarn through the process of degumming as well as natural dye.
- 68 weavers have been mentally prepared to make cloth on commercial basis regularly and started producing cloth as per rate finalized by SATRA and weavers.
- Buyers like grameen sahara , RGVN and a few individuals have been linked with SATRA for product marketing
- IIE officials monitors the ongoing activities to lay further support
- Gradually weavers are mentally prepared for commercialization of the activities, so that they can take care of their products like measurement and wrapping.